I was just reading in Brendon Burchard’s book “The Charge” about the drive for caring.
He talks about how we can’t really care for others if we don’t care for ourselves first.
This paragraph here was interesting:
“We’re so busy trying to keep up, manage everything thrown our way, and please others that we tend to care for ourselves last. That’s why the majority of the general public is dehydrated, overweight, stressed-out and sleep deprived.”
This sounded like me a few years ago.
And what is interesting about these is that they are all things that we can control.
Sometimes we just want to do everything and the truth is we have to sit down and really take a look at what we are doing each day.
Think about what it is you are doing each day.
Are all these activities bringing you closer to your goal?
Do they make you feel happy?
It’s up to us to pick and choose which of these things are going to bring us the most joy and are producing the results that are going to bring us closer to our goals.
When we try to do everything we get frustrated because we are spreading ourselves too thin.
I found a few things like cutting back on TV time and scheduling my time for the day left me with some extra time to care for myself.
Once you start taking the time for yourself you’ll notice that your productivity increases too!
Here are some examples of things you can do to make sure you are caring for yourself:
- You time – Schedule in some me time to relax and do something you enjoy.
- Sleep – Get at least 7 hrs of sleep each night.
- Exercise – at least 4 times a week. Doesn’t have to be long, just do something.
- Meditate – Great for reducing stress. I know it takes time.. I need to do this more myself as well.
- Hydrate – Make sure you are drinking enough water each day. Many times we get hungry or tired just because we aren’t drinking enough water.
- Nutrition – Eat healthier foods that aren’t overly processed. You’ll notice a huge difference in your energy if you weren’t eating well before. Keep the portions to reasonable sizes.
Take care of yourself. There is only one you and when you are the best you it will benefit everyone around you.
Join others that are striving to better their lives as well in our next challenge and accountability group: http://darrenletourneau.com/beachbody-challenge/beachbody-challenge/